FX Excursions

FX Excursions offers the chance for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in destinations around the world.

United States, Kentucky, Angel’s Envy

Apr 1, 2012
2012 / April 2012

When bourbon is put in oak barrels to age, about 2 percent of the spirit evaporates through the wood. This is called the angels’ share. But it’s the 98 percent the angels do not take that matters. And this is why a new super-premium bourbon has been named Angel’s Envy. Satin-smooth, rich and mellow with a sensuous aroma that recalls vanilla, pear, caramel and
dried fruits, it is enough to make an angel flap its wings in envy for what is left behind.

Angel’s Envy is a small-batch artisan bourbon made by veteran whiskey maker Lincoln Henderson. Lured out of retirement by the Louisville Distilling Co. with the promise that he could create a bourbon his way, Henderson did just that. Bourbon must be made with a minimum of 51 percent corn. Henderson uses 70 percent. The remaining 30 percent is rye and malted barley. After aging his bourbon in three year- old oak barrels for four to six years, he goes a major step further, transferring it into used Port wine barrels for an additional four to six months. The finished product is a bourbon burnished to a fine polish, leaving not a single rough edge; and at 86.6 proof (43.3 percent alcohol), a bourbon without a burn (most bourbons run higher, some more than 100 proof; the higher the alcohol, the more aggressive the bourbon and the less discernible its nuances and finer tastes).

In 1964, Congress officially recognized bourbon as a “distinctive product of the United States.” And while it allows bourbon to be made anywhere in the country, at least 95 percent of it is produced in Kentucky, where it originated in 1789.

Enjoy Angel’s Envy straight, over ice or as part of a mixed drink — a mint julep, a sour, a Collins or one of the new drinks created with “angel” in the name. Gerry’s Angel, for example, blends Angel’s Envy with vermouth and a dash of raspberry juice. The Angel’s Decree mixes Angel’s Envy with Port, bitters and ginger ale.

Angel’s Envy is $45 for a 750ml bottle. And what does the shapely, Italian-made bottle have spread across its back? Angel wings, of course.

Introducing

FX Excursions

FX Excursions offers the chance for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in destinations around the world.

#globility

Insta Feed
LGBTQ+
Jun 18, 2021

Show Your Pride with Essentia Cocktails

Pride Month is in full swing and to celebrate the community, make a colorful cocktail everyone will enjoy. These colorful ingredients will get the party started during Pride or any time of the year. Start this recipe the night before to create the rainbow ice cubes.

Norway
Jun 17, 2021

Up Norway Sustainable Tour: The Discovery Route

Up Norway, Norway’s travel curator, partners with sustainability experts to offer travelers a new tour. The Discovery Route, called the “world’s most sustainable journey,” combines personal wellness with the wellness of the environment.

eFlyer Reviews
Jun 16, 2021

Marriott Dallas Uptown Review

Driving into Dallas during a rainstorm, we were eager to arrive at our destination. The valet parking at Marriott Dallas Uptown is underground and ideal for inclement weather. We took the elevator to the lobby and made our way to the registration desk. The staff wore masks, but still managed to convey a warm greeting. On the wall behind them hung a colorful piece of art made partially from reclaimed wood that depicts neighborhood scenes. The new hotel covers an entire block in a residential area and opened earlier this year.

Sports Industry Awards returns to Dubai’s Palm Jumeirah for 8th Edition

The biggest names in the Middle East sporting community will gather for the Sports Industry Awards as the event returns for its eighth edition. SPIA recognizes the achievements of individuals, organizations, facilities and campaigns that contributed to the development of sport in the region.

eFlyer News
Jun 16, 2021

Brussels Airlines Resumes Service to New York, Washington, D.C.

Brussels Airlines resumed trans-Atlantic service to and from New York (JFK) and Washington, D.C. (IAD), to Brussels (BRU) this week.

Daily
Jun 16, 2021

Best Cities for a Staycation

Although travel restrictions are beginning to lift, many Americans aren’t ready to travel yet, but still want to get out and explore something new. WalletHub, a personal-finance website, recently conducted a study to find out the best cities for a staycation this summer.

SPIA 2021 Winners Crowned at Gala Ceremony at W Hotel, Palm Jumeirah

The Sports Industry Awards returned with a bang last night as 200 guests packed the W Hotel Great Ball Room for the gala ceremony.

Daily
Jun 15, 2021

6 Reasons to Put Oslo, Norway, on Your Travel List

As the vaccine rolls out and travel begins to pick up, it’s time to start dreaming of your next trip. Here’s some destination inspiration for you. Take a visual journey through Oslo with us.