1. How many U.S. states have wineries?
2. What wine did America’s Founding Fathers pour to toast the signing of The Declaration of Independence?
3. What country produces the most wine?
4. What country consumes the most wine?
5. What percentage of American wine does California produce?
6. What wine region in the world boasts the most expensive vineyard land?
7. What effect did the Russian Revolution have on Champagne?
8. How many bottles of wine can one ton of grapes produce?
9. What is the term for the space between the top of the wine and the bottom of the cork in a wine bottle?
10. How many calories does a 5-ounce glass of wine contain?
11. What did a friend of former CIA director Leon Panetta promise to do if the United States killed Osama bin Laden?
12. Zinfandel is often called a California grape, but where did it really originate?
13. How many kinds of wine grapes are in the world?
14. How much wine do Americans drink?
15. Where in the United States boasts the most wine consumed per person?
1. 50 states
4. United States
5. 90 percent
6. Bordeaux, where an acre of fine vineyard land can cost $800,000.
7. It caused the sweet wine-loving Russian market to close. As a result, Champagne began to be made as a drier wine, the style preferred by Champagne’s next major customer, Great Britain.
8. About 700 bottles
10. About 105 calories for red wine and 100 calories for white, both less than the same amount of beer (146 calories)
11. He opened a bottle of 1870 Château Lafite Rothschild (worth $10,000) at a dinner party Panetta hosted.
13. More than 10,000 varieties; about 1,300 varieties are actually used to make wine.
14. An average of 2.83 gallons of wine per year
15. Washington, D.C., with an average per-person consumption of almost seven gallons per year
The Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla is opening its acclaimed doors Oct. 22 to celebrate its fifth and most exciting season. The resort will introduce new programming including culinary, fitness and music.
GBTA’s Convention 2021 will bring the business travel industry together for the first time in a long time. Once again, you’ll learn and connect with experts and each other, along with discussions with leading thinkers, entrepreneurs and change makers addressing the issues that matter most.
Seabourn recently announced the name of its second new ultra-luxury purpose-built expedition ship: Seabourn Pursuit. The name reflects the passion of expedition travelers to seek out and explore natural wonders and destinations through activities around the globe.
Though the Chicago area has been my home for decades, the view from the Water Tower Suite on the 26th floor of The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago made me gasp. I had admired Chicago’s dramatic skyline many times, but never from this angle. Through expansive windows, the skyscrapers of 900 N. Michigan Ave. and the John Hancock Center, now named 875 North Michigan Avenue, rose to my right. Far below, the landmark Chicago Water Tower nestled in a ring of trees. One of the few survivors of the Great Chicago Fire, a turning point in the city’s history being remembered on its 150th anniversary in 2021, the Gothic Revival relic resembled a fairy-tale castle in a children’s playset.
Since its prestige for attracting the world elite grew in the 1960s, Greece remains the go-to destination for glittering holidays. Each step of the journey is enrobed in luxury, from culinary traditions with the highest standard of execution and name-brand, high-end shopping to first-rate wellness locales and elite accommodations, like 5-star hotels, private villas and yachts.
President Biden signed H.R. 2278, bipartisan legislation to designate a September 11th National Memorial Trail. The trail route will link the National September 11th Memorial and Museum in New York; the Pentagon Memorial in Arlington, Virginia; and the Flight 93 National Memorial in Somerset County, Pennsylvania.
In April 2021, I was skimming Facebook when an ad for a blind-folded dining experience popped up on my newsfeed. The event was hosted through a company called Fever that offers fun, interactive events in major cities and virtually for people to enjoy. Intrigued, I clicked the link to learn more. The description made the event sound exciting and mysterious. When I give someone a present for their birthday, the holidays or a wedding, I like to give the gift of an experience that the recipient can learn something from. My boyfriend’s 30th birthday was in June, when the event was to be hosted, so I thought this would be a great surprise for him.
History and culture are etched into every corner of Greece. Beginning with its language, the oldest written language still in existence, and moving from the traces of passing civilizations and religions to pre-historic findings and works from many movements, there’s a wealth of culture to discover on your next trip to Greece.
It’s time to start dreaming of your next trip. Here’s some destination inspiration for you. Take a visual journey through Austin, Texas, with us.