1. How many U.S. states have wineries?
2. What wine did America’s Founding Fathers pour to toast the signing of The Declaration of Independence?
3. What country produces the most wine?
4. What country consumes the most wine?
5. What percentage of American wine does California produce?
6. What wine region in the world boasts the most expensive vineyard land?
7. What effect did the Russian Revolution have on Champagne?
8. How many bottles of wine can one ton of grapes produce?
9. What is the term for the space between the top of the wine and the bottom of the cork in a wine bottle?
10. How many calories does a 5-ounce glass of wine contain?
11. What did a friend of former CIA director Leon Panetta promise to do if the United States killed Osama bin Laden?
12. Zinfandel is often called a California grape, but where did it really originate?
13. How many kinds of wine grapes are in the world?
14. How much wine do Americans drink?
15. Where in the United States boasts the most wine consumed per person?
1. 50 states
4. United States
5. 90 percent
6. Bordeaux, where an acre of fine vineyard land can cost $800,000.
7. It caused the sweet wine-loving Russian market to close. As a result, Champagne began to be made as a drier wine, the style preferred by Champagne’s next major customer, Great Britain.
8. About 700 bottles
10. About 105 calories for red wine and 100 calories for white, both less than the same amount of beer (146 calories)
11. He opened a bottle of 1870 Château Lafite Rothschild (worth $10,000) at a dinner party Panetta hosted.
13. More than 10,000 varieties; about 1,300 varieties are actually used to make wine.
14. An average of 2.83 gallons of wine per year
15. Washington, D.C., with an average per-person consumption of almost seven gallons per year
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts invites travelers to celebrate the holidays at any of its properties in Riviera Maya, Mexico. There is no time like the present for you to experience a stay at one of these luxury resorts.
Experience the beauty of Alaska and save 60 percent off cruise fares on your second and fourth guests. Plus, drinks, WiFi and tips are all included.
After a two-year hiatus from in-person sporting and outdoor recreation events, the seaside, car-free town of Las Catalinas in Guanacaste, Costa Rica, recently announced the return of the annual Tri Las Catalinas, an off-road, multisport triathlon, Feb. 15–18.
When American travelers make plans to visit Portugal, Lisbon is usually their first stop.
Plan a célébration spéciale this holiday season with a stay at a historic French chateau in the Loire Valley. If pipers piping and dancers dancing are part of your dream holiday experience, set your compass for Château de Chambord, where 100 twinkling Christmas trees set a festive tone for Renaissance music and dancing, storytelling, performances, workshops, themed activities and more. Guests can sip mulled wine and nibble on sweet indulgences, or peruse the shops for authentic, artisanal Chambord products crafted from the estate’s own natural resources.
For the 12th consecutive year, Global Traveler recognizes the best of the best in the industry, naming 2022’s Airline of the Year and Hotel of the Year.
Discover why Global Traveler readers named Cunard® the Best Large-Ship Cruise Line for seven consecutive years. For a limited time, book your voyage during Cunard’s Explore with More promotion and take advantage of lower fares*, up to $1,200 Onboard Credit†, Free Specialty Dining for Two^, 50% Reduced Deposit††, and more. Choose from an array of exciting journeys, including Transatlantic Crossings and voyages to Alaska, the Caribbean and Canada & New England.
What a year 2022 has been for travel! It’s not an understatement to say travel rebounded and surged following the pandemic, and airlines, hotels, travel providers and more are ready and waiting to serve the masses returning to the beautiful art of traveling. As such, we celebrate and award those who do it best as we announce the 2022 winners of the GT Tested Reader Survey awards, our 19th year honoring the best of the best in the world of travel. Our countdown to year No. 20 begins now.