As we enter 2022, many of us have the same health goals in mind, which is, nine out of 10 times, going to be to lose weight. Easier said than done, as shedding pounds can be tricky and takes a lot of prioritizing, dedication and self-control. As an individual who has suffered from both obesity and anorexia, I am here to reiterate that depriving your body of suitable nutrition is not healthy; so as you begin to make your diet plans, it is important to use apps, like My Fitness Pal, to make sure you are consuming enough calories, protein and carbohydrates. Opposingly, it is okay to deprive your body of simple carbs and added sugars.
One of the wisest men I’ve ever met, my grandfather, a well-known research doctor specializing in diabetes, once told me there is absolutely no benefit in consuming added sugars. Added sugar and simple carbs are proven to cause weight gain, along with increasing the chances of Type 2 diabetes. Yes, drinking a Diet Mountain Dew is better than drinking a bottle of cranberry juice. The sad and crazy thing is that just about any salad dressing, sauce or condiment contains a significant amount of added sugar. So here are a few tips I have found to help me lose body fat percentage, keeping bad weight off long-term.
If something has more than 1–5 percent added sugar, DO NOT EAT IT! Sugar adds no nutritional benefit; it only causes negative effects.
- Replace condiments with vinaigrettes, natural citrus and spices.
- Replace coffee creamer with sugar-free alternatives.
- Avoid juices that are not freshly squeezed. Yes, 100 percent Tropicana orange juice has added sugar.
- Avoid eating dairy, as it contains a lot of sugar. Switch to unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened oat milk.
- Avoid cereal; most of it contains added sugar and simple carbohydrates.
- Replace chips with rice cakes, carrot chips or, if needed, pretzels.
- Avoid high sodium (it bloats you and causes weight gain due to water weight).
- Utilize calorie and nutrition apps such as My Fitness Pal, Noom or Lose It.
- Avoid mixed drinks, as they contain sugar. If you do not like it on the rocks, add a splash of soda water or diet ginger beer.
- Avoid beer.
- Avoid white wines.
- Try to do 30–60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise five days a week. Yes, walking counts; however, in my opinion, if you are going to walk you should double the time or walk at a mild to high incline.
- If you are trying to tone up, this is not done by running, walking, biking or swimming; lifting and doing bodyweight exercises multiple days a week is important!
- If you are worried about your form, utilize tutorial videos on YouTube or speak to a specialist.
- Hate working out? Try attending a group fitness class at your gym. Trainer-led classes are much more fun and are a great way to meet new friends and build a community.
- Don’t know what gym to join? Try Class Pass. It is a credits-based application that allows you to attend several different gyms in your area as opposed to investing your time and money into just one.
- F45 is a great option for individuals looking for a quick, 45-minute lift or cardio session. These stations move quickly, so it is hard to get bored.
- Orangetheory is my favorite because it offers a 60-minute full-body workout, normally consisting of 50 percent cardio and 50 percent weighted exercises, which helps shed pounds and tone up. They have a great program that allows you to utilize any gym in the world as long as you pre-book your classes. I have found there are all different age groups and skill levels in these classes no matter what city I am in.
- Make sure you are taking vitamins, probiotics and antioxidants.
- Drink water. Our bodies are like cactuses: If we deprive them of water, it will cause us to puff out into survival mode, retaining as much water as possible since we fear drought.
- Avoid stepping on the scale and pay more attention to body fat percentage. Weight is not consistent, as water and muscle add weight without necessarily affecting our health.
I hope these tips help! As long as you are eating clean and healthy, you can consume as much as you’d like … especially if you are active.
— Christyn Pek, business development executive
New Orleans has a full roster of activities, events and festivals enticing guests throughout February and March.
Located in the South Pacific, The Islands of Tahiti are just eight hours by air from California. Surrounded by pristine, crystal-clear blue waters, the 118 islands and atolls offer natural beauty, authentic island culture and unique French Polynesian style. The Islands of Tahiti are world-renowned for white-sand beaches, stunning turquoise lagoons and varied landscapes ranging from coral atolls to volcanic mountain peaks. Privacy comes naturally in The Islands of Tahiti and offers visitors the space to relax and reconnect and to be Embraced By Mana. Mana is the life force and spirit that connects all things in The Islands of Tahiti.
With Black History Month and Women’s History Month right around the corner, it’s time to highlight and recognize South African women working hard to make the travel industry better.
Since Cheval Blanc, an extraordinary, newly designed and refurbished 72-room hotel owned by Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessey, launched in September 2021, it has been the talk of the town. Le Tout-Paris remarks about its WOW factor … and the hard-to-get reservations for the 30 seats at Plenitude, the intimate, first-floor gastronomic outlet headed by chef Arnaud Donckele, who earned three Michelin stars at Cheval Blanc Saint Tropez. Reservations are also recommended for Limbar, the ground-floor bakery/café/tea shop/bar where we watched Pastry Chef Maxime Frédéric preparing desserts and an absolute must-have for dinner at Le Tout-Paris, the 7th-floor, all-day brasserie. This brightly colored space, with its raised seating and Fauve-like floor tiles and the adjacent Milanese restaurant, Langosteria, both have access to terraces facing the Seine River, with amazing views encompassing Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower.
IHG® Business Edge: Working Together with SMEs for a smarter way to manage travel
Nevada-based The Spa at Green Valley by Well & Being and The Spa at Red Rock by Well & Being celebrate the start of 2022 with new health, wellness and spa treatments available through March 31. Both spas offer an array of treatments for guests wanting to relax and unwind before 2022 kicks into full gear.
Now through Jan. 28, JEOPARDY! and Lindblad Expeditions team up for a viewer promotion, the JEOPARDY! Explore Alaska Sweepstakes. The contest will award 10 winners and their guests with an eight-day, small-ship cruise of Alaska’s coastal wilderness.
Go ahead, take a nice, deep breath. Because a Seabourn voyage is all about this moment you’ve come so far in life to embrace. It’s not an escape, it’s an arrival.
It’s time to start dreaming of your next trip. Here’s some destination inspiration for you. Take a visual journey through Santorini, Greece, with us.