Company Debt, a top U.K. business website, shared new insights delving into the creative, fun and positive ways the hospitality industry adapted in order to continue surviving the COVID-19 pandemic. Occupancy rates are down around the world, particularly in Europe and North America, with some forecasts predicting it could take four years for rates to return to pre-COVID-19 levels; however, the news hasn’t stopped hotel sales and marketing teams from pivoting and trying new ways to maximize revenues.
Here are eight ways hotels and the hospitality industry adapted amid the pandemic:
- Check-In Changes and Key Digitization: Reducing human contact has been key during the pandemic, with many creating contact-less, express check-in options, and digital keys.
- Whole Spa Rental: While some hotels were forced to close communal areas, others began to allow facilities, like spas, to be pre-booked for time slots throughout the day for families or other similar groupings.
- Day-Only Stays: Spain saw the number of foreign visitors fall by more than 80 percent, prompting hoteliers to turn guestrooms into workspaces and offer day rates at a lower price than overnight stays.
- The Workcation: To give locals a chance to escape the house and work and home school from a new environment, hotels like Rosewood Hotel London offer guestrooms with workstations, butler services, flexible check-in and check-out times and more in order to give guests a change of scenery for a few days.
- Robot Butlers: At the Mercantile Hotel in New Orleans, a robot butler can deliver drinks or food, or assist in other ways. Hotels adopt this policy to reduce face-to-face interactions and also generate some additional revenue.
- Flexibility, Safety and Lots of Information: Not surprisingly, nearly every hotel brand implemented strict cleaning protocols and other measures to increase health and safety, while also offering more flexible cancellation and rebooking policies and making this information more transparent and easier to find.
- Marketing Rooms Differently: Aside from workspaces and workcations, hotels continually find new ways to market in the current environment, allowing essential works to isolate away from family or offering discounted rates on luxury rooms to allow locals to experience their city in a new way.
- Renovating for the Future: In addition to touch-free systems throughout the hotel, hotels are emphasizing health-related features for the future, including antimicrobial finishes, high-performance ventilation and more.
Learn more about Company Debt’s research.
Have you experienced any of these adaptations in your recent travels? What other creative ways have you seen hotels adapt? Tell us about it. Email us at [email protected]. Please include your full name and location.
Brewing long and deep at its center before radiating out to the rest of Europe, Vienna boasts an illustrious history and lasting intellectual impact. The Austrian capital dates back to Celtic and Romen rule, the latter inhabitants using the center city as a military hub among many other employments.
Step right up to the greatest show on Earth as FXExpress Publications, Global Traveler, trazeetravel.com and whereverfamily.com celebrate their 2020 award winners! Join the big top on Dec. 14 as we virtually award the winners of the 17th annual GT Tested Reader Survey awards, including the Airline and Hotel of the Year; the 17th annual Wines on the Wing Airline Wine Survey; the eighth annual Leisure Lifestyle Awards; the sixth annual The Trazees; and the third annual Wherever Awards.
Whether taking a COVID-19 test before boarding a flight or looking up different travel restrictions before planning your trip, travel has looked a little bit different this past year. With all the extra steps for traveling, American Airlines is committed to finding ways to provide ease and more flexibility and choices for passengers when traveling.
Even in “normal” times, folks gravitate to wellness resorts to jumpstart a healthier lifestyle, destress and be nurtured. In this COVID-19-era state of elevated anxiety, people seek even more natural beauty and caring hospitality, healthy food, fitness activities and beauty and body treatments. Canyon Ranch Lenox also provides an extensive staff of experts offering a multitude of health, wellness and spiritual well-being modalities that alleviate personal issues.
The lights of the aurora borealis appear frequently in the Fairbanks region of Alaska, with a growing number of Aurora Trackers in the area. A new video from Explore Fairbanks features five Fairbanks Aurora Trackers sharing their thoughts and photography on the northern lights.
Remote workers looking for an upgrade from their home offices might want to consider Karisma Hotels & Resorts’ Workcation offer. Those booking an extended stay of 10-plus nights are eligible for discounts of up to 15 percent off best available rates; those booking 20-plus nights enjoy up to 25 percent off. The offer is available at Karisma Hotels & Resorts’ diverse portfolio of properties.