History and culture are etched into every corner of Greece. Beginning with its language, the oldest written language still in existence, and moving from the traces of passing civilizations and religions to pre-historic findings and works from many movements, there’s a wealth of culture to discover on your next trip to Greece.
Some of the world’s finest museums beckon you to learn more. Here’s a sampling of some must-sees for your Greece itinerary:
- Acropolis Museum: One of the most important museums in the world, the Athens Museum houses the archaeological findings from the site of the Acropolis.
- National Archaeological Museum: The largest archaeological museum in Greece, in Athens, is dedicated to ancient Greek art.
- Museum of Byzantine Culture: A top choice in Thessaloniki, the Museum of Byzantine Culture boasts more than 3,000 Byzantine objects.
- Cinema Museum: Also in Thessaloniki, take a journey through the magic of Greek cinema.
- Museum of Modern Greek Culture: Four buildings comprise this museum that tells the story of Greek culture and traditions through the centuries.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites
With such a deep, rich history, it’s no wonder Greece is chock full of important historical sites. These are just a few of Greece’s 18 UNESCO World Heritage sites to add to the agenda:
- Acropolis: Marvel at the greatest architectural and artistic complex of Greek antiquity left to the world.
- Delos: In Greek mythology, this tiny island was the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis, and today there remains an extensive archaeological site here.
- Medieval City of Rhodes: The Palace of Grand Master of the Order, The Knights’ Hospital, the Street of the Knights and Old Town comprise one of the best urban ensembles of the Gothic period.
- Archaeological Site of Delphi: Sixth-century Delphi was the cultural and religious center and symbol of unity for the ancient Greek world.
- Archaeological Site of Olympia: Olympia was the birthplace of the Olympic Games. No ancient archaeological site in the world is more relevant in today’s world.
Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
UNESCO established Lists of Intangible Cultural Heritage to protect and raise awareness of important cultural heritages worldwide. In Greece, these four important traditions allow travelers to soak in the Greek culture:
- Cultivating Mastic: On the island of Chios, mastic is cultivated from a shrub and renowned for its numerous properties.
- Tinian Marble Craftmanship: Marble carving is part of the cultural identity of Tinos, and produces a range of traditional motifs.
- Rebetiko: Rebetiko is a musical and cultural expression linked to song and dance that spread among working-class populations in the early 20th
- Momoeria: Dec. 25–Jan. 5 in Kozani, dancers, actors and musicians perform in the village streets to celebrate the coming year.
That’s only a taste of the cultural tourism on offer: There’s also art galleries, film festivals, dance, theater, music, folk traditions and more. Plan your cultural immersion today.
Read This Next
FX Excursions offers the chance for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in destinations around the world.
Play in the Sand at North Myrtle Beach
Just north of the city of Myrtle Beach in coastal South Carolina, North Myrtle Beach has grown from a tranquil farming region into a prized leisure destination. Way back in 1737, landowner William Gause built a tavern that became a welcome stop for vacationers and others traveling along Kings Highway, a route stretching from Boston to Charleston. Today, this sunny, friendly beach town is a popular endpoint all on its own.
Exclusive Savings: Cruise Along the Danube River with Global Traveler
Exclusive Sailing with Global Traveler
April/May 2023May 30, 2023
Embrace the Power to Make Environmental Change as you Travel
News of climate change and its impact on the Earth and our environment has been harsh, to say the least. In fact, the American Psychological Association defines the term “eco-anxiety” as “a chronic fear of environmental doom.”
Sample the Cuisine of Distinguished Chefs at Cayo Levantado Resort’s 5-Star Dining
Cayo Levantado Resort recently announced a selection of dining options available to guests upon opening June 1. With an emphasis on rich cultural traditions and fresh local ingredients, the resort teamed up with a distinguished team of experts to offer a variety of gastronomic possibilities. The resort’s restaurant invites travelers to sample world-class cuisine crafted with the soul of the Caribbean. Keep reading to see how each restaurant brings its own flare to the dining experience.
Why Buy Travel Insurance for U.S. Destinations?
If you’re traveling stateside, travel insurance is a must.
Rocco Forte Hotels Raises the Bar for Summer 2023 Travel
Rocco Forte Hotels offers travelers new experiences and amenities for summer 2023.
A Makeover is Coming to the Magnificent Mile
DailyMay 26, 2023
Take Part in These Sustainable Travel Experiences with Explore Worldwide
Taking care of the planet is a growing priority with travelers wanting to ensure there’s a healthy world to even explore. Global travel adventure company Explore Worldwide (a Hotelplan travel group brand) recently formed a climate timely partnership with Klimate and Rewilding Britain, affirming its dedication to both rewilding efforts and carbon removal within the travel industry.
Treasure Every Moment in The Islands of Tahiti
Welcome to The Islands of Tahiti, where every moment is a treasure waiting to be discovered. From the moment you arrive, you will be greeted with warm hospitality, time-honored traditions and an awe-inspiring landscape that will take your breath away.
April/May 2023May 26, 2023
Expansive Designs and Overhauls Take Airports to the Next Level
Recently, the Federal Aviation Administration announced the availability of $1 billion for airport expansion projects in 2023, awarding grants to some U.S. airports to make improvements to terminals.