Today marks a somber day in American history as we commemorate the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. We remember and honor the heroes who passed away, were injured and who risked everything to help on that September day in 2001.
Many of us can remember the way our nation came together after the heinous events of 9/11. According to Newsweek, following the attacks, a record number of Americans donated to various causes to help the nation, victims and family and friends of those taken from us. Nearly 75 percent of the nation made a donation to the more than 300 organizations created to assist in the recovery.
While there are far fewer organizations still in existence today, 9/11 Day is one dedicated to establishing Sept. 11 as a National Day of Service and Remembrance in permanent tribute to those we lost. For the 20th anniversary, the organization is inviting everyone to “Shine A Light,” by taking a moment to pay tribute by posting and sharing one act of kindness, charity or service in honor of the anniversary.
A number of other organizations continue to support survivors. Consider honoring today’s anniversary by supporting the following organizations:
- Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation: Established in memory of firefighter Stephen Siller, the organization supports the families of injured or deceased firefighters, officers, military members and emergency services workers.
- Tuesday’s Children: This organization supports the survivors and families of 9/11 victims, and has expanded to include those impacted by terrorism and traumatic loss.
- Scholarship America: Support the Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund to ensure those who lost family members on 9/11 can afford higher education.
- FDNY Foundation & New York City Police Foundation: Support the tens of thousands of firefighters and police who rushed in to help on 9/11 by giving to the non-profit arms of the fire and police departments.
- USA Cares, Inc.: Help improve veterans’ quality of life and prevent veteran suicide by donating and supporting this organization.
- 9/11 Memorial & Museum: Help maintain the memorial to the 9/11 heroes.
However you choose to commemorate today’s anniversary, together we will always remember and honor the memory of those who gave everything on 9/11, the day our world forever changed.
For the 11th consecutive year, Global Traveler honors the best of the best in the industry, naming 2021's Airline of the Year and Hotel of the Year.
GBTA’s Convention 2021 will bring the business travel industry together for the first time in a long time. Once again, you’ll learn and connect with experts and each other, along with discussions with leading thinkers, entrepreneurs and change makers addressing the issues that matter most.
It’s not an overstatement to say we’ve been through it all in the past 18 months as milestones, celebrations, and even hallmarks of our day-to-day lives were upended. But 2021 has certainly brought us a bit more due north with vaccine deployment, a return to in-person everything, countries around the world re-welcoming Americans and, more recently, with U.S. borders re-opening to vaccinated individuals from around the world. With all that good news, we chose the theme “Open the World” to celebrate the 2021 winners of the GT Tested Reader Survey awards, our 18th year honoring the best of the best in the world of travel.
New to 2021, Global Traveler awards the airline, cruise line and hotel brand best embodying diversity and inclusion within the travel industry.
IHG® Business Edge: Working Together with SMEs for a smarter way to manage travel
Global Traveler, the only magazine for frequent luxury travelers, announces Delta Air Lines as the 2021 Airline of the Year and Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants as the 2021 Hotel of the Year. This marks the 11th year Global Traveler has awarded Airline and Hotel of the Year nods.
History and culture are etched into every corner of Greece. Beginning with its language, the oldest written language still in existence, and moving from the traces of passing civilizations and religions to pre-historic findings and works from many movements, there’s a wealth of culture to discover on your next trip to Greece.
The Bicester Village shopping exclusive debuted at Nobu Hotel London Portman Square for the holiday season. The offer includes access to the exclusive Apartment lounge at Bicester Village, an e-VIP pass toward participating stores at the village for 10 percent off and the chance to arrange a bespoke personal shopper experience with 48 hours’ notice.