Lisbon offers travelers an array of cultural attractions. Add these 10 spots to the list for your next visit.
1. Mosteiro dos Jerónimos: The monastery was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1983. It was commissioned by King Manuel I on the site of Ermida do Restelo, where explorer Vasco de Gama and his men spent time in prayer.
2. Torre de Bélem: Along with the Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, this imposing tower was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1983. One of the city’s must-see attractions, the military construction served as a fortress and port during the Age of Discoveries.
3. Streetcars, Funiculars and Elevators: Streetcars, funiculars and elevators are important to the identity of The famous yellow Tram 28 takes passengers through the narrow streets of the city’s historic and tourist neighborhoods. The Elevator of Santa Justa features a Neo-Gothic style, and visitors ascend to a terrace with stunning city views.
4. Alfama: This charming neighborhood is known as the birthplace of Fado, Lisbon’s traditional music. It retains much of its original design, as it was one of the neighborhoods least affected by the devastating 1755 earthquake.
5. Chiado: This neighborhood, located in the southern section of the city, is home to many artists. It’s also home to the oldest bookstore in the world: Bertrand Bookstore.
6. Baixa: This district was rebuilt after the 1755 earthquake. Today, it boasts large spaces, palaces and pedestrian-friendly streets.
7. Castelo de São Jorge: One of the most-visited attractions in Lisbon, the castle was built in the mid-11th It features 11 towers, gardens and archaeological artifacts from more than 2,000 years of history.
8. The Royal Treasure Museum: The museum opened to the public in June 2022. Its permanent collection of more than 1,000 pieces includes the crown jewels and pieces from Portuguese royalty.
9. The National Tile Museum: A highlight of Portuguese culture, learn about tile’s place in history from the 15th century to present day.
10. The Calouste Gulbenkian Museum: The museum houses an impressive collection of Egyptian, Mesopotamian and Persian objects and paintings by European artists.
Read This Next
4 Spring Hotel Openings
DailyMar 29, 2023
FX Excursions offers the chance for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in destinations around the world.
eFlyer ReviewsMar 29, 2023
Elk Cove Inn & Spa Review
Mendocino County is a self-contained universe of effortless, California-centric joy enveloped within the Redwood Forest National and State Parks, the rocky Pacific Coast and several prime wine production areas like Anderson Valley. If Highway 1 and Route 128 are the ribbons holding this package together, Elk Cove Inn & Spa can be considered the bow. Mendocino Coast’s first vacation destination, established in 1968, is an ideal 16-room gateway to the destination.
Enter to Win $500 and Get Six Months’ Free Access to the New GT App
Now through May 8, sign up for a free six-month trial of the Global Traveler app and be automatically entered for a chance to win a $500 gift card of your choice for Amazon, Apple or American Express.
YOTEL to Open YOTELPAD London Stratford in Late 2023
YOTEL recently announced plans to open YOTELPAD London Stratford at the end of this year, making it the seventh YOTEL property in the United Kingdom and third in London, joining YOTEL London City and YOTEL London Shoreditch. YOTEL currently features properties in the United States and United Kingdom, with hotels in Boston, New York, San Francisco and, more recently, Washington, D.C.
Puerto Rico’s Hotel El Convento Unveils Multimillion-Dollar Renovation
Hotel El Convento, one of Old San Juan’s most popular landmark hotels, recently completed a multimillion-dollar design and architectural renovation to its 81 rooms. The renovation blends Old World charm with Puerto Rico’s vibrant and modern energy.
Europe is more fun with a Portugal Stopover.
Etihad Airways Teams Up with Emirati Chef for In-Flight Ramadan Menu
Etihad Airways prepares a specially curated in-flight menu through the holy month of Ramadan. The menu comes thanks to the airline’s collaboration with Emirati Chef Khaled Alsaadi, in which Alsaadi recreates popular Ramadan dishes blending Emirati recipes with contemporary techniques and local ingredients.
Last-Minute Spring Deals from SIXT
eFlyer ReviewsMar 22, 2023
Pendry Washington DC – The Wharf Review
Among the handful of hotels in the area, Pendry Washington DC – The Wharf is the newest. I was excited to check in for a little staycation — and even more excited when I checked into my room just in time to see the sun set over the boats docked in the Potomac River.
Exclusive Savings: Cruise Along the Danube River with Global Traveler
Exclusive Sailing with Global Traveler
eFlyer NewsMar 22, 2023
Meadow Homes, New Boutique Vacation Rental Platform in New England, Launches
A new upscale vacation rental platform invites travelers to enjoy boutique properties across New England. Meadow Homes debuts with more than 20 properties in the countryside of upstate New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont, with a keen focus on large, private homes close to popular lake and ski destinations.