TAP Air Portugal’s Stopover program offers trans-Atlantic travelers the opportunity to stay in Lisbon or Porto for up to five nights for no additional airfare on your way to more than 65 destinations throughout Europe and Africa. That’s two destinations for the price of one! Other Stopover perks include hotels with exclusive prices, free and discounted experiences all around the city, an app to help you get around and a free bottle of wine at participating restaurants.
What to do with your few days in Lisbon? Here are a few tips from Global Traveler to help make the most of your stopover.
- Upon arrival, skip the taxi line at Lisbon Airport and maximize your time by grabbing an Uber.
- Have your camera at the ready. Lisbon, Portugals’ capital, offers myriad breathtaking viewpoints and vistas. Visit São Pedro de Alcântara and Nossa Senhora do Monte for some Instagram-worthy snapshots.
- Save some more money if your visit falls on a Sunday. On Sunday mornings, Lisbon museums waive entrance fees. There’s also an incredible array of street art on display any day of the week.
- Add a little luxury to your stopover with a stay or a visit at a number of 5-star hotels, including Hotel Bairro Alto, International Design Hotel, Hotel Turim and Altis Belém Hotel.
- Prepare for some exceptional weather — don’t leave your sunglasses at home. Lisbon boasts more sunny days per year than any other European capital. Terraces around the city allow you to soak up that sunshine; visit Park or Topo for cocktails to complement the vantage point.
- Indulge in the decadent Portuguese cuisine on offer in the capital. For some traditional tastes, try pastéis de bacalhau (cod cakes), sardines and empadão (partridge pie). A visit to Time Out Market Lisboa is a must. Also, you can sample the stylings of Michelin-starred chef Jose Avillez both onboard TAP Portugal — Avillez is one of the airline’s featured chefs in the Taste The Stars program — and at his Lisbon restaurant, Bairro do Avillez.
- You’ll work up an appetite — and work off the calories — by wandering the City of Seven Hills on foot. For a guided walking tour, check out Lisbon Walkers’ various offerings.
- Interested in visiting São Jorge Castle? Here’s an insider tip: Catch classic tram 12, not 28, at Praça da Figueira to reach the castle in no time and avoid cars crammed with other tourists.
- Seek out alternative transportation. Classic car or electric scooters suit your fancy? Tour companies like La Locomotiva Tours, Lisbon by Beetle and Holy Moly Tours offer classic cars, including Volkswagen Beetles and Fiats, for cruising Lisbon in style. If you prefer, rent an electric scooter and zip around the city. Scooters are available at Velocité Café.
- Find out more suggestions from TAP Air Portugal on portugalstopover.flytap.com.
If fabulous food and beverages are a must-have for any weekend getaway, then look no further than the City of Brotherly Love. Whether your palate has a penchant for vibrant Latin American fare or cozy French cuisine, whether you're an oenophile looking to swirl, sniff and sip your way around the globe or you’d rather sample farm-to-glass cocktails, Philly’s got it all this fall. (With the exception of Bolo, which is a short taxi or Uber ride away and definitely worth the trip, the rest of these spots are all within walking distance of each other.)
IHG Hotels & Resorts is thrilled to announce the launch of a new mobile product feature for members: IHG Wi-Fi Auto Connect. This feature is now available exclusively in the IHG One Rewards mobile app for both iOS and Android users and will automatically connect IHG One Rewards members to WiFi upon arrival at more than 5,000 IHG hotels worldwide — no separate passwords or log-ins needed. This is in addition to the exciting benefits of being an IHG Business Edge member. IHG Business Edge provides small- and medium-sized businesses access to a user-friendly portal that displays comprehensive spending and savings data while providing the convenience of direct booking with a guaranteed discount.
From Santoríni to Dubai to New York, some hotels just have that “it” factor that draws visitors far and wide. For some hotels it’s their proximity to popular landmarks and attractions, for others it’s their amenities. But these hotels have something few can claim: a true room with a view.
Experience the life-changing destination of Greece by exploring its island gems in the Ionian Sea. Scattered off the western coastline of Central Greece, to the south of Peloponnese, the Ionian Islands are an island group comprising large and small islands.
Two historic Craftsman-style homes connected by a newly built third extension will take on a new life as the 19-room The Chloe Nashville in 2024. Developed to aesthetically harmonize with both Nashville’s past and future under the direction of Nashville-based Remick Architecture, guestrooms range from 400 to 817 square feet and start at $375 per night, with its top suite running $950 per night. The architecture and interiors maintain the original homes’ residential feel while incorporating modern and traditional design elements reflective of Nashville’s character and history.
A must for travelers seeking quiet on a plane or any noisy atmosphere, QuietOn’s newest launch, QuietOn 3.1, launches a limited-time sale on the product for last-minute trips this fall and winter. Originally selling for $289, QuietOn 3.1 is on sale for $50 off at $239 this Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Reconnecting the World: GBTA Convention 2023 Spotlights the Vital Role of Business Travel and In-Person Connection
In an increasingly digital and interconnected world, the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) Convention remains an indispensable platform for business travel industry professionals seeking to make the most of the power of face-to-face connections. Taking place August 13–15 in Dallas, the 2023 GBTA Convention provides the unique opportunity for professionals and companies to join visionaries, thought leaders and industry experts for meaningful networking, cutting-edge insights and inspiring innovation.
With more travelers opting to book solo trips, Star Clippers invites solo travelers to embark on one of its tall-ship sailing itineraries with a special offer. Solo travelers who book by Sept. 30 will receive waived single supplements on a variety of itineraries through 2025.