TAP Air Portugal’s Stopover program offers trans-Atlantic travelers the opportunity to stay in Lisbon or Porto for up to five nights for no additional airfare on your way to more than 65 destinations throughout Europe and Africa. That’s two destinations for the price of one! Other Stopover perks include hotels with exclusive prices, free and discounted experiences all around the city, an app to help you get around and a free bottle of wine at participating restaurants.
What to do with your few days in Lisbon? Here are a few tips from Global Traveler to help make the most of your stopover.
- Upon arrival, skip the taxi line at Lisbon Airport and maximize your time by grabbing an Uber.
- Have your camera at the ready. Lisbon, Portugals’ capital, offers myriad breathtaking viewpoints and vistas. Visit São Pedro de Alcântara and Nossa Senhora do Monte for some Instagram-worthy snapshots.
- Save some more money if your visit falls on a Sunday. On Sunday mornings, Lisbon museums waive entrance fees. There’s also an incredible array of street art on display any day of the week.
- Add a little luxury to your stopover with a stay or a visit at a number of 5-star hotels, including Hotel Bairro Alto, International Design Hotel, Hotel Turim and Altis Belém Hotel.
- Prepare for some exceptional weather — don’t leave your sunglasses at home. Lisbon boasts more sunny days per year than any other European capital. Terraces around the city allow you to soak up that sunshine; visit Park or Topo for cocktails to complement the vantage point.
- Indulge in the decadent Portuguese cuisine on offer in the capital. For some traditional tastes, try pastéis de bacalhau (cod cakes), sardines and empadão (partridge pie). A visit to Time Out Market Lisboa is a must. Also, you can sample the stylings of Michelin-starred chef Jose Avillez both onboard TAP Portugal — Avillez is one of the airline’s featured chefs in the Taste The Stars program — and at his Lisbon restaurant, Bairro do Avillez.
- You’ll work up an appetite — and work off the calories — by wandering the City of Seven Hills on foot. For a guided walking tour, check out Lisbon Walkers’ various offerings.
- Interested in visiting São Jorge Castle? Here’s an insider tip: Catch classic tram 12, not 28, at Praça da Figueira to reach the castle in no time and avoid cars crammed with other tourists.
- Seek out alternative transportation. Classic car or electric scooters suit your fancy? Tour companies like La Locomotiva Tours, Lisbon by Beetle and Holy Moly Tours offer classic cars, including Volkswagen Beetles and Fiats, for cruising Lisbon in style. If you prefer, rent an electric scooter and zip around the city. Scooters are available at Velocité Café.
- Find out more suggestions from TAP Air Portugal on portugalstopover.flytap.com.
I had just taken off my sandals, stepping onto the white-sand beach for a late-morning walk to a secluded spot I heard about from a front desk clerk, when I glanced down and saw the time on my phone. It had just turned 11 a.m., which meant it was only 7 am back home, the perfect time to call and say good morning to by husband before he left for work. Not quite ready to head back to my room, I decided I’d test the WiFi signal and made the call as I continued walking toward the shoreline.
San Antonio celebrated 300 years of progress in May 2018. With a clear vision following that anniversary year, the Texan city set its sights firmly on 300 more. While commemorating this milestone, the city underwent a major overhaul to prepare for the next phase in its history.
Step right up to the greatest show on Earth as FXExpress Publications, Global Traveler, trazeetravel.com and whereverfamily.com celebrate their 2020 award winners! Join the big top on Dec. 14 as we virtually award the winners of the 17th annual GT Tested Reader Survey awards, including the Airline and Hotel of the Year; the 17th annual Wines on the Wing Airline Wine Survey; the eighth annual Leisure Lifestyle Awards; the sixth annual The Trazees; and the third annual Wherever Awards.
When you think of a relaxing spa day, mountains, rivers and view of gorgeous landscapes pop in your head; a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of any city’s booming music and honking taxis. SoJo Spa Club and Hotel gives you the relaxing feeling of being away while still staying close to the busy center of Manhattan.
Dance the night away with Grand Hotel’s Ballroom Dance offer, available May 16–18. Dancers of all skill levels will experience a diverse range of ballroom dance styles, alongside daily breakfast and dinner, a welcome reception and complimentary golf green fees.
IHG® Business Edge provides small- to midsized enterprises with benefits and confidence to navigate the evolving business travel environment.