Saudi Arabia is currently undergoing a bit of a transformation, repositioning itself as a tourism destination and debuting new developments and attractions. While perhaps not a “development” or “attraction” per se, NEOM is one of these new initiatives — but one beyond many of our wildest dreams. NEOM, a special economic zone within the country of Saudi Arabia, has been dubbed “a vision of what a new future might look like” and “a city of the future.”
What does this all mean? The world will continue to watch as NEOM unfolds, but its initial premise breaks the area, at more than 6 million acres, into three regions with a focus across 14 sectors. Many factors make NEOM ideal for this type of undergoing, from its position within a four-hour flight from 40 percent of the globe, to its climate that is regularly 50 degrees cooler than the rest of the Gulf Cooperation Council. Situated in northwestern Saudi Arabia, this region boasts historical significance as a Land of Prophets and the area where Moses lived 10 years when exiled. Add in its incredible natural beauty and the futuristic city concept moves more into the present day.
Here’s a closer look at the three planned regions:
- Trojena, the Mountains of NEOM: Blending natural and developed landscapes, this year-round mountain destination will have six development districts
- Oxagon, a Reimagined Industrial City: Now open, this “pioneering cognitive city” will be the place of giant leaps in areas like manufacturing, technology, work, living and sustainability
- The Line, a Revolution in Urban Living: This is quoted as a “city of a million residents with a length of 170 kilometers that preserves 95 percent of nature within NEOM, with zero cars, zero streets and zero carbon emissions”
The 14 sectors of focus at NEOM include:
- Design and Construction: Ultimately, NEOM will build the communities of the future
- Education: The culture at NEOM advocates learning by doing
- Energy: NEOM works to develop 100 percent clean energy at scale
- Entertainment and Culture: Innovative technologies and ideas from around the world will allow hyper-personalization and sensory wonderment
- Financial Services: With the aim for universal access to financial services with end-to-end solutions, fully digital payments and more
- Food: Using circular design, green energy and breakthrough technology to defeat the natural resources crunch
- Health, Well-Being and Biotech: NEOM’s health, well-being and biotech ecosystem will go beyond traditional medical care
- Manufacturing: State-of-the-art approaches include integrated supply chains and research-based innovation
It’s time to start dreaming of your next trip. Here’s some destination inspiration for you. Take a visual journey through Buenos Aires, Argentina, with us.
Start planning that long-awaited trip to the island of Ireland. With all travel restrictions now lifted, there has never been a better time to visit.
Glamping is made more inclusive and effortless than ever at AutoCamp Joshua Tree, 38 miles outside of Palm Springs and a three-hour drive from Los Angeles. The design and layout of this multitasking camp — which can accommodate family groups and corporate retreats as readily as couples — puts guests front and center amidst the natural wonders and phenomena of the Coachella desert, even while providing creature comforts found at better hotels and practical features like well-appointed kitchenettes with basic cookware, towels and linens, and a fire pit with a grill.
Sonesta Hotels teamed up with Best Friends Animal Society to support the society’s mission to end homelessness for animals. To celebrate the collaboration, Sonesta Select properties will serve a complimentary, pet-inspired mocktail to guests. These hotels also offer opportunities for guests and team members to donate to help save the lives of dogs, cats and other animals.
United Airlines remains firmly committed toward sustainability in aviation. The latest development in its eco-conscious goals includes working with Oxy Low Carbon Ventures to commercialize the production of sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) with biotech firm Cemvita Factory. Cemvita looks to develop a revolutionary new way to produce SAF by using carbon dioxide and synthetic microbes. Additionally, United Airlines Ventures (UAV) recently announced an equity investment in Fulcrum, and United has invested more in SAF production than any other airline in the world.
Costa Rica prepares to welcome its first Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts property, slated to open in 2025. Waldorf Astoria Guanacaste will boast 190 guestrooms, as well as 25 Waldorf Astoria-branded residences, all offering sweeping views overlooking the ocean. A presidential suite will also grace the property.
The waters surrounding Greece offer a treasure trove of islands filled with natural beauty, cultural significance and a special blend of adventure and relaxation. Whether in Greece for business on the mainland or attending an event on a distant island, there are plenty of ways to experience the Greek Islands.
As the travel industry finds itself in the midst of the first peak travel season since the beginning of the pandemic, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts commissioned a survey of more than 1,200 U.S. consumers to learn more about business travel habits, learning 65 percent of Millennials, aged 25–44 years old, and 59 percent of Gen Z, ages 18–24 years old, prefer to work for a company offering frequent travel or flexible blended travel as a perk. Blended travel is the combination of business travel with leisure travel.
I sat in spellbound reverence, fixed to my rickety wooden chair in a Peruvian Amazon rain forest village. A local shaman welcomed our small group from the riverboat Zephyr to teach us about medicinal plants from the jungle. Then, blowing tobacco smoke from his cupped hands, he framed my body with a smoke shield as he blew it around my face and over my shoulders, all the while chanting his blessing from the forest.