Saudi Arabia is currently undergoing a bit of a transformation, repositioning itself as a tourism destination and debuting new developments and attractions. While perhaps not a “development” or “attraction” per se, NEOM is one of these new initiatives — but one beyond many of our wildest dreams. NEOM, a special economic zone within the country of Saudi Arabia, has been dubbed “a vision of what a new future might look like” and “a city of the future.”
What does this all mean? The world will continue to watch as NEOM unfolds, but its initial premise breaks the area, at more than 6 million acres, into three regions with a focus across 14 sectors. Many factors make NEOM ideal for this type of undergoing, from its position within a four-hour flight from 40 percent of the globe, to its climate that is regularly 50 degrees cooler than the rest of the Gulf Cooperation Council. Situated in northwestern Saudi Arabia, this region boasts historical significance as a Land of Prophets and the area where Moses lived 10 years when exiled. Add in its incredible natural beauty and the futuristic city concept moves more into the present day.
Here’s a closer look at the three planned regions:
- Trojena, the Mountains of NEOM: Blending natural and developed landscapes, this year-round mountain destination will have six development districts
- Oxagon, a Reimagined Industrial City: Now open, this “pioneering cognitive city” will be the place of giant leaps in areas like manufacturing, technology, work, living and sustainability
- The Line, a Revolution in Urban Living: This is quoted as a “city of a million residents with a length of 170 kilometers that preserves 95 percent of nature within NEOM, with zero cars, zero streets and zero carbon emissions”
The 14 sectors of focus at NEOM include:
- Design and Construction: Ultimately, NEOM will build the communities of the future
- Education: The culture at NEOM advocates learning by doing
- Energy: NEOM works to develop 100 percent clean energy at scale
- Entertainment and Culture: Innovative technologies and ideas from around the world will allow hyper-personalization and sensory wonderment
- Financial Services: With the aim for universal access to financial services with end-to-end solutions, fully digital payments and more
- Food: Using circular design, green energy and breakthrough technology to defeat the natural resources crunch
- Health, Well-Being and Biotech: NEOM’s health, well-being and biotech ecosystem will go beyond traditional medical care
- Manufacturing: State-of-the-art approaches include integrated supply chains and research-based innovation
While the 372-passenger Viking Polaris expedition ship, launched in September 2022, falls midway in size between Viking Cruises’ intimate river cruise ships and large-scale ocean ships, it is operated with the same attention to detail and personalized service.
Don’t risk losing all the money you’ve spent if you must cancel your trip at the last minute. Allianz Travel Insurance can give you:
Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts partners with Cisneros Real Estate to construct a new Four Seasons property in the Dominican Republic. The Four Seasons Resort and Residences Dominican Republic at Tropicalia is slated to open in 2026.
In mid-September, Banyan Tree Group and Ennismore sealed the deal with Dubai Holding to bring a new Banyan Tree property to Bluewaters, Dubai. This multi-staged project will welcome new brands to Dubai, beginning with the opening of Banyan Tree Dubai this November.
Learning more about our readers’ travel habits and preferences ensures Global Traveler delivers the content you desire. As the travel industry has adapted and changed over the last few years, it’s more important than ever to connect. To best meet your short- and long-term travel content needs, please help us!
In a dramatic plot twist that seems to have emerged from one of Shakespeare’s own plays, Vicenza, Italy, recently informally accused fair Verona, Italy, of stealing the claim to the famed Romeo and Juliet. For centuries, visitors have made the trip to Verona’s Juliet House to see the famous balcony.
It’s time to start dreaming of your next trip. Here’s some destination inspiration for you. Take a visual journey through Medellín, Colombia, with us.
The Islands of Tahiti are among the most beautiful and sought-after vacation destinations in the world. The endless images of overwater bungalows with Bora Bora’s majestic peak towering over waters of every shade of blue have an intrinsic pull. But with 118 islands and atolls to explore, there is so much more to this spectacular region of the Pacific.
There is something magical about sipping a glass of local wine while watching the sun slip into the Aegean Sea as the afterglow tinges traditional, white-washed Cycladic houses with glorious shades of rose, purple and gold. Ancient Greeks believed Helios, the Sun God, caused sunsets by driving his fiery chariot into the sea. Standing at water’s edge in Mykonos, watching the sky slowly turn from purple to inky black, you almost believe it.