In times of crisis, innovative companies step up, adapt and find ways to assist and contribute to those in need.
Oahu-based Ko‘Olau Distillery shifted operations from producing Old Pali Road Whiskey (a high-quality whiskey) to much-needed hand sanitizer. Able to legally distill alcohol, Ko‘Olau Distillery is able to shift production to creating the base for hand sanitizer — all to be provided to first responders, health workers and essential civil service personnel for free.
As many mainland distilleries began shifting production to creating hand sanitizer base, Ko’Olau Distiller was inspired to do the same.
“We realized that we are in the unique position to be able to help our community in this way; we are able to both make Old Pali Road Whiskey and produce hand sanitizer that meets WHO standards so that we can help our greater ‘Ohana through this unprecedented situation,” said Eric Dill, CEO, Ko‘Olau Distillery.
Dill anticipates providing a product as early as March 25.
Kōkua Sun Care stepped up by donating empty bottles for hand sanitizer creation — a vital part of the process, as nearly 80 percent of all goods consumed by Hawai’i’s residents and visitors are imported, according to the Hawai’i Department of Transportation.
Other companies doing their part (and then some) to contribute include:
- Nancy Silverton in Los Angeles and Chef Ed Lee in Washington, D.C.transformed restaurants (and Hook Hall) into resource centers for hospitality workers in need. Locals can pick up kits, including to-go meals and other essentials like toilet paper, baby diapers, wipes and more
- Restaurants in Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., New Orleans and Seattle are all providing food for children who regularly depend on free lunches
- Musang in Seattle and José Andrés’s restaurants are converted to “community kitchens,” partnering with nonprofits to feed locals in need
- Restaurants all across the San Francisco Bay Area, Austin, Seattle, New York and Washington, D.C. are providing food to first responders, including emergency medical professionals, non-profits and firefighters.
- Over in Orange County, California, a barbecue spot made 1,500 free meals for unemployed restaurant workers, available via drive-thru
- Jojo food truck in Portland gave away free food
- Liquor distilleries across the country shifted high-proof alcohol production to develop sanitizing solution
This is just a small representation of the many companies lending a hand to support their communities and give back to those who need it most.
For the next several weeks, we are compiling the thoughts and experiences of our staff, writers and readers about the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. As a travel publication, we’ve all been affected during these difficult times, as have many of our clients, friends, partners and more.
According to the U.S. Small Business Administration’s Office of Advocacy, small businesses create two-thirds of net new jobs and account for nearly 48 percent of the U.S. private sector workforce. And small- and medium-sized businesses outpace all other sectors as one of the fastest-growing in the United States. InterContinental® Hotels Group (IHG) goes above and beyond to create opportunities for this segment with its IHG® Business Edge program, voted Best Small- to Mid-Sized Business Program in Global Traveler’s 2019 GT Tested Reader Survey awards.
Air Canada recently announced new, non-stop service between Vancouver (YVR) and Santa Ana (SNA), California, starting June 15. An Airbus A319 aircraft is slated for the route, with 14 seats in business class and 106 seats in economy class. Flights depart Vancouver daily at 9 a.m., arriving in Orange County at 11:59 a.m. Return flights depart Orange County at 12:40 p.m., arriving in Vancouver at 3:27 p.m.
The new The Fives Oceanfront Puerto Morelos is set to open in Riviera Maya July 1, situated a 15-minute drive from Cancún International Airport. A Fives Hotels & Residences property, the hotel is “all-senses inclusive.”
The city took its name from Athena, goddess of wisdom, strategy and war, and protector of the city. The financial, political and administrative center of the country and an all-powerful city-state in antiquity, Athens is a major center of culture. A visit to the first-ever museum dedicated to Byzantium, a stroll around the National Garden and a trip to the Olympeion archaeological site will take you back through time.
The new Club MSY, a premium lounge, opened at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.
Accor announces the signing of a 24-pool villa resort in Phuket, V Villas Phuket-MGallery.
Finding a beachfront Punta Cana all-inclusive resort for all ages can be daunting when you want to take home great memories with loved ones but also experience a sophisticated escape. Now, you can have both thanks to a new resort: Finest Punta Cana.