Today, the most prevalent way Americans save for retirement is through their employer-sponsored retirement plans, typically 401(k) plans. Unfortunately, since inception, the 401(k) industry has been free of many regulations, legislation and rules. Because of this, many retirement plan participants don’t truly understand the plans in which they invest their hard-earned dollars.
Important 401(k) Questions to Ask:
- What is the company match? Many companies will match some level of employee contributions. For example, when a participant saves 6 percent, the company will contribute 4 percent. It is important to take advantage of any ‘free money’ on the table.
- How much does each investment cost? Every investment fund has a net expense ratio, typically paid by the employee. While these fees may appear small, over a long period of time they can erode performance and make a major difference in the savings one accumulates. Generally anything more than 1 percent is excessive, however in small cap and specialty funds the threshold is a little higher.
- What are your investment options? 401(k) plans usually offer a variety of mutual funds or ETF products, both designed to simplify the investing process for employees. A typical mutual fund or ETF will contain many individual stocks or bonds, allowing one to efficiently diversify in a particular category. It is important a portfolio has exposure to several different categories of stocks and bonds.
- Who pays for the plan? Oftentimes, the costs associated with day-to-day maintenance of the plan are borne to the participants, and automatically debited for your account balance. It’s important to understand not all plans are paid for by the employer.
Given the lack of clarity in 401(k) plans, participants tend to unknowingly make mistakes when investing.
- Poor fund selection: Many plans may contain several funds in a given category (i.e. three Large-Cap Growth mutual funds) to choose from. Participants should only buy one fund in any given category and must evaluate a multitude of factors such as fund manager tenure, expense ratio, long-term performance, etc., when making a decision.
- Not investing aggressively enough: Frequently, participants only take into consideration the number of years remaining until retirement when deciding how aggressively to invest. They fail to realize investing doesn’t simply stop at retirement. It’s critical to acknowledge the fact they will likely be invested in the financial markets for an additional 25-plus years after retiring! The reality is people are living longer than ever and therefore need higher investment returns, even after retiring, to ensure they don’t run out of money.
- Not taking full advantage of the company match: A company match is common, yet not every employee contributes enough to receive the full match. Participants must understand the match formula and make sure they are maximizing the amount of “free money” from their company.
To maximize yo ur success through your 401(k), you must understand the specifics of your plan. There are many resources available to help you. Begin by speaking with your Human Resources department to learn if there is a professional advisor available to assist. Reilly Financial Advisors, a fee-only RIA, is available to provide a complimentary 401(k) tune-up, wherein we can evaluate your plan and provide unbiased advice at no cost.
Read This Next
FX Excursions offers the chance for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in destinations around the world.
eFlyer ReviewsJun 7, 2023
Singer Palace Hotel Review
The idea of a boutique hotel in the center of Rome’s busiest crossroads may seem counterintuitive, but Singer Palace Hotel pulls off the impossible thanks to its minimalist exteriors, 30 gorgeous one-of-a-kind rooms and suites, smart-but-whimsical décor, simple-yet-elegant Roman cuisine and a stellar mixology-driven rooftop bar. It’s a delightful study in contrasts — a quiet, intimate and plush setting nestled within a maze containing many of Rome’s most noteworthy sites.
Business or Leisure? With TAP Air Portugal, You Can Have Both!
Are you looking to enhance your business trip with a little leisure? Look no further than Portugal, a country renowned for its captivating blend of history, culture and natural beauty. And with TAP Air Portugal, you can effortlessly transform your business trip into an unforgettable bleisure adventure. Discover why Portugal and TAP Air Portugal are the perfect combination for an enriching and rejuvenating experience.
Uber to Launch Private Chartered Boat Service in Mykonos
Uber app users can now book an Uber Boat in Mykonos this summer to enjoy even more of the Greek island’s beauty. Uber announced the new addition allows up to eight guests to cruise to popular destinations and sites around Mykonos.
Breeze Airways Rebrands First-Class Seating, Inaugurates 37 Nonstop Routes
Breeze Airways celebrates summer with the inauguration of 37 new and returning routes and the introduction of a new and elevated onboard experience. The airline also recently flew its inaugural and now longest flight from Rhode Island TF Green International Airport to Los Angeles International Airport.
Put Yourself First in Arizona
Putting yourself first has never been easier.
Hawaiian Airlines Unveils 787 Dreamliners Cabin Design, Leihōkū Suites
Hawaiian Airlines officially gives the world a glimpse into the interior cabin details of its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, bringing guests a new class of premium service. The Leihōkū Suites, meaning garland of stars, features 34 suites, enveloping guests in a peaceful and elegant space with fully lie-flat seating.
Puppy Pride at The Leta, Santa Barbara
Dad’s Escape at Andaz San Diego
OMNI PGA Frisco Resort Comes to Texas
DailyJun 7, 2023
Leisure Lifestyle 2023Jun 7, 2023
Gather Insight and Inspiration at Some of the World’s Intriguing Art Shows and Fairs
© FNB ART JOBURG
Hit the High Notes in Nashville
Nashville’s once-modest skyline continues to evolve as its luxury market grows. Lavish hotel properties are added to the landscape while acclaimed chefs stake claim in the robust culinary scene and premier cultural offerings round out the city’s repertoire.
DailyJun 7, 2023
art’otel Brings Boutique, Art-Inspired Hotels to Zagreb, London and Rome
Contemporary lifestyle hotel brand art’otel expands throughout Europe with the launch of three new properties in Zagreb, London’s Hoxton and Rome, all slated to open between fall 2023 and early 2024. These three hotels join the brand’s existing boutique hotels in Berlin, Amsterdam, Cologne and another London property.