Today, the most prevalent way Americans save for retirement is through their employer-sponsored retirement plans, typically 401(k) plans. Unfortunately, since inception, the 401(k) industry has been free of many regulations, legislation and rules. Because of this, many retirement plan participants don’t truly understand the plans in which they invest their hard-earned dollars.
Important 401(k) Questions to Ask:
- What is the company match? Many companies will match some level of employee contributions. For example, when a participant saves 6 percent, the company will contribute 4 percent. It is important to take advantage of any ‘free money’ on the table.
- How much does each investment cost? Every investment fund has a net expense ratio, typically paid by the employee. While these fees may appear small, over a long period of time they can erode performance and make a major difference in the savings one accumulates. Generally anything more than 1 percent is excessive, however in small cap and specialty funds the threshold is a little higher.
- What are your investment options? 401(k) plans usually offer a variety of mutual funds or ETF products, both designed to simplify the investing process for employees. A typical mutual fund or ETF will contain many individual stocks or bonds, allowing one to efficiently diversify in a particular category. It is important a portfolio has exposure to several different categories of stocks and bonds.
- Who pays for the plan? Oftentimes, the costs associated with day-to-day maintenance of the plan are borne to the participants, and automatically debited for your account balance. It’s important to understand not all plans are paid for by the employer.
Given the lack of clarity in 401(k) plans, participants tend to unknowingly make mistakes when investing.
- Poor fund selection: Many plans may contain several funds in a given category (i.e. three Large-Cap Growth mutual funds) to choose from. Participants should only buy one fund in any given category and must evaluate a multitude of factors such as fund manager tenure, expense ratio, long-term performance, etc., when making a decision.
- Not investing aggressively enough: Frequently, participants only take into consideration the number of years remaining until retirement when deciding how aggressively to invest. They fail to realize investing doesn’t simply stop at retirement. It’s critical to acknowledge the fact they will likely be invested in the financial markets for an additional 25-plus years after retiring! The reality is people are living longer than ever and therefore need higher investment returns, even after retiring, to ensure they don’t run out of money.
- Not taking full advantage of the company match: A company match is common, yet not every employee contributes enough to receive the full match. Participants must understand the match formula and make sure they are maximizing the amount of “free money” from their company.
To maximize yo ur success through your 401(k), you must understand the specifics of your plan. There are many resources available to help you. Begin by speaking with your Human Resources department to learn if there is a professional advisor available to assist. Reilly Financial Advisors, a fee-only RIA, is available to provide a complimentary 401(k) tune-up, wherein we can evaluate your plan and provide unbiased advice at no cost.
The Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla is opening its acclaimed doors Oct. 22 to celebrate its fifth and most exciting season. The resort will introduce new programming including culinary, fitness and music.
This holiday season, escape to the Caribbean with Celebrity Cruises and reconnect with family and friends in luxurious accommodations that make you feel right at home. Savor globally inspired cuisine designed by our Michelin-starred chef, paired with the most awarded wine collection at sea. Elevate “me time” with a soothing spa treatment sure to renew. With both long and short cruises to celebrate in December, and even three special Ultimate Holiday Cruises that sail over Christmas and into the New Year, the time to gift an experience and create unforgettable memories is now. Celebrity Cruises’ Always IncludedSM pricing — drinks, WiFi and tips — ensures a seamless, carefree vacation with the ones you love.
Seabourn recently announced the name of its second new ultra-luxury purpose-built expedition ship: Seabourn Pursuit. The name reflects the passion of expedition travelers to seek out and explore natural wonders and destinations through activities around the globe.
Though the Chicago area has been my home for decades, the view from the Water Tower Suite on the 26th floor of The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago made me gasp. I had admired Chicago’s dramatic skyline many times, but never from this angle. Through expansive windows, the skyscrapers of 900 N. Michigan Ave. and the John Hancock Center, now named 875 North Michigan Avenue, rose to my right. Far below, the landmark Chicago Water Tower nestled in a ring of trees. One of the few survivors of the Great Chicago Fire, a turning point in the city’s history being remembered on its 150th anniversary in 2021, the Gothic Revival relic resembled a fairy-tale castle in a children’s playset.
Without a doubt, the pandemic changed the role of airports in the travel industry. Hamad International Airport’s role evolved in many ways since the pandemic hit. Now, more than ever, airports are responsible for creating a secure passenger experience. As the gateway to Qatar and the world, the safety and wellbeing of staff and passengers has always been at the core of Hamad International Airport’s strategy.
President Biden signed H.R. 2278, bipartisan legislation to designate a September 11th National Memorial Trail. The trail route will link the National September 11th Memorial and Museum in New York; the Pentagon Memorial in Arlington, Virginia; and the Flight 93 National Memorial in Somerset County, Pennsylvania.
In April 2021, I was skimming Facebook when an ad for a blind-folded dining experience popped up on my newsfeed. The event was hosted through a company called Fever that offers fun, interactive events in major cities and virtually for people to enjoy. Intrigued, I clicked the link to learn more. The description made the event sound exciting and mysterious. When I give someone a present for their birthday, the holidays or a wedding, I like to give the gift of an experience that the recipient can learn something from. My boyfriend’s 30th birthday was in June, when the event was to be hosted, so I thought this would be a great surprise for him.
Since its prestige for attracting the world elite grew in the 1960s, Greece remains the go-to destination for glittering holidays. Each step of the journey is enrobed in luxury, from culinary traditions with the highest standard of execution and name-brand, high-end shopping to first-rate wellness locales and elite accommodations, like 5-star hotels, private villas and yachts.
It’s time to start dreaming of your next trip. Here’s some destination inspiration for you. Take a visual journey through Austin, Texas, with us.