I’m presently writing while traveling, and I received the unfortunate news that my aunt had passed while I am halfway around the world. I feel it is a topic to discuss as my fellow readers, frequent travelers themselves, can encounter this sad and unfortunate situation. Death is an inevitable occurrence which rattles one’s cage. Notification of such an event when you are unable to hold those in need of comfort is especially difficult. There are ways in which one can be there from afar while also making sure, whether your travels are for business or leisure, the tasks at hand are carried out.
I compiled a go-to list for handling a death while traveling, as this has not been my first — and possibly not my last. It’s not a simple or light subject, but connecting with the world around us may result in a disconnect with our loved ones during unexpected times of grief. Here are my recommendations when coping and consoling from afar:
- Understand the concrete and the abstract: What occurred? How has it happened? Who will this affect most? Understand the finality of the news and take a breath and offer condolences.
- Logistics: Does the person’s estate rely on you to be present or connect regarding financial or other matters? If so, figure out your plan of action to connect with the proper contacts and make it clear whether you are traveling internationally or domestically and your timeline for arriving. If you cannot make it in, but know there are aspects for which you should have legal representation or a proxy present, find the best solution and make plans from there.
- Contacting those necessary: It is important to connect with those individuals you feel you are responsible for informing. They should hear it from someone close rather than from an obituary posted online or in the local news outlets. Remember to comfort and connect with those from afar who need to be checked on; sometimes a call makes all the difference.
- Present or having a presence: If you are able to rearrange meetings or travel plans, it is ideal to try to make it for the services to honor your loved one. If you cannot be present, ask what you may contribute if the deceased is a close relative, or send a comforting gift or donation to a cause if the family has assigned one.
- Take care of yourself as well: Grieving has no set timeline. While you are busy traveling, you may not be able to adjust totally to the loss. Taking time to understand the void of this individual’s absence is important on the journey to healing. Take care of others but remember yourself.
I know this is not an easy or cheerful topic, but I hope it proves useful for my fellow travelers. We cannot plan when death occurs, so it is best to think about travel insurance and methods of transport should an incident occur to your personally.
— Stephanie Makowski, account executive
Falling asleep in economy class can be a test of flexibility and patience, often depending on how tired you are. No matter how many ways your body contorts to sleep sitting upright, it’s hard to avoid the dreaded head drop, from little to no head support, that can easily jerk you (and your neighbor) awake.
oneworld is an alliance of 13 world-leading airlines committed to providing the highest level of service and connecting you to more than 1,100 destinations around the world.
Heathrow Airport built a “bespoke set of anti-drone systems” around its airfield. The system, created by U.K.-based firm Operational Solutions, detects and tracks drones in surrounding airspace. The “new and innovative” system can also locate drone pilots and show their location.
New upgrades at Frankfurt Airport include renovations at the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center, as well as the addition of a new hotel, Frankfurt Airport Marriott. To make room for the new property, the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel was reduced to 779 guestrooms from its previous 1,008 guestrooms, allowing for 233 guestrooms at Frankfurt Airport Marriott. All Sheraton guestrooms are now refurbished.
Since 1970, Goway Travel has been committed to providing customized travel experiences for world travelers. Few things are better evidence of this commitment than being awarded the 2019 Trazees award for Favorite Tour Operator. Goway Travel heartily thanks the readers of Trazee Travel for this honor and for their confidence in Goway’s work in creating travel memories that’ll last a lifetime.
Marriott International had a record 2019, marking seven straight years of record-breaking organic growth.
Looking for a truly unique travel experience and considering a new vehicle? The Volvo Overseas Delivery Program is the perfect solution to create your own adventure of a lifetime. Volvo allows you to custom order your new automobile tailored to fit your needs and desires. They will fly you to Sweden to pick up your Volvo so you can drive and explore Scandinavia and Europe on your terms for up to two weeks.
A historic U.K., hotel, The Grand Hotel Birmingham is expected to open this summer after extensive renovations. One of the city’s most iconic buildings, The Grand Hotel Birmingham was originally constructed in the 1870s.