The hotel industry responds to the COVID-19 pandemic with updates on cancellations and rebooking policies. Here’s an update.
Airbnb continues to work with its hosts and guests to ensure safety during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Reservations made on or before March 14, 2020, for stays with a check-in date through April 14, 2020, may be canceled before check-in.
- Guests who cancel will receive a full refund.
- Hosts can cancel without charge or impact to Superhost status. Airbnb will refund all service fees for covered cancellations.
- The host’s cancellation policy will apply as usual to reservations made after March 14, 2020, and to reservations made on or before March 14, 2020 with check-in dates after April 14, 2020.
- If you are currently staying on property at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney’s Vero Beach Resort or Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort and you would like to check out early, please visit the Front Desk for assistance. If you have an upcoming arrival during the impacted dates at a Disney Vacation Club Resort using Vacation Points, or a Disney Collection Resort at Walt Disney World using Reservation Points, no further action is required on your part as your reservation will be automatically cancelled for you.
- Vacation Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation will not be placed in a holding account at this time and will be returned to their current Use Year.
- Reservation Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Collection Resort reservation will be returned as Reservation Points to the current Use Year.
- Guests with a reservation arriving through March 31, who need to speak to a Vacation Advisor, call Member Services at (800) 800-9800. For all other needs, contact services after March 31.
Depending on the type of reservation, you will either be able to cancel the reservation online or you will need to call the Disney Reservation Center for assistance. Sign in to your Disney Account and go to My Reservations, where you will see the reservation listed. If your reservation can be canceled online, you’ll see a link for “Cancel Reservation.”
If your reservation can only be canceled by phone, you’ll see a message indicating you need to call (407) 934-7639. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.
** The theme parks are closed through the end of March. Guests with Disney Resort reservations during that period may cancel/modify reservations. If no action is taken to change a reservation by check-in day, Disney will automatically refund payment within seven days.
All Four Seasons hotels and resorts worldwide are implementing the following policies:
- For guests with existing individual reservations for any future arrival date, including pre-paid reservations, full changes or cancellations are permitted at no charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival, as long as the change or cancellation is made by April 30.* Please note, changes to an existing reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- For guests making new individual reservations for any future arrival date, including pre-paid reservations with pre-paid deposits, through April 30, changes or cancellations are permitted at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.* Please note, changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- Some exclusions may apply, including periods with special event restrictions or during peak demand periods. Please refer to individual property rate rules for details.
- For reservations booked through online travel agents or other third-party travel professionals, please contact the booking provider for information on policies.
- For individual reservations booked into a pre-existing group block, please refer to cancellation terms quoted at the time of reservation. For more information, please contact the group organizer or the hotel.
- For group bookings we will work closely with you to manage any changes on a case-by-case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting customers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time. For questions on terms and conditions of group contracts please contact the hotel directly to discuss further.
Hilton properties are continuing to monitor the situation and continue to update policies as more news breaks. They are prepared to waive cancellation or change fees and offer full refunds.
- Existing reservations: All existing reservations, even the ones described as nonrefundable, scheduled to arrive before April 30, 2020, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival.
- All new reservations booked March 16–April 30 for any future arrival date can also be cancelled or changed at no charge up to 24 hours before arrival.
- If you need to make changes to your reservation made on app or call center, contact the Hilton Guest assistance team. If you booked through a third-party travel site, contact them for assistance.
To further ensure safety and wellbeing of its guests Hilton properties are focusing on providing cleanliness to guests. Hilton increased the frequency of cleaning public areas, including lobbies, elevators, door handles, public bathrooms and more, and continued the use of hospital-grade disinfectant. They also increased the deployment of hand sanitizers for guests and employees to use as needed.
The safety and wellbeing of guests is a top priority for Hyatt; they are committed to monitoring the situation closely and being there to answer any questions guests may have.
- All existing reservations made before March 13, 2020, for arrivals March 14–April 30, 2020, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours prior to your scheduled arrival, including Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- Any reservations made March 13–April 30, 2020, for any future arrival date can be cancelled or changed at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.
- To make these changes to your reservations, go to hyatt.com or use the World of Hyatt app.
To stop the spread of germs and possible viruses, Hyatt is placing hand sanitizer stations throughout all its properties and increasing the amount of cleaning done in shared spaces with a high focus on frequently touched surfaces.
InterContinental Hotels Group
InterContinental Hotels Group’s highest priority is the health and wellbeing of our guests and employees.
Due to the volume of calls to IHG’s Global Reservations & Customer Care teams, the company is unfortunately experiencing extended hold times.
To help support guests in a timely manner:
- Modify or cancel your reservation online at Manage Your Stay or on the app
- Call the team only if your travel is within the next 72 hours and you are not able to modify or cancel your reservation online or via the IHG app
- For bookings made through a travel agent or online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) please contact them directly
IHG is waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels globally for stays through April 30, 2020.
- Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances.
- For bookings made through a travel agent or online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) please contact them directly
- Groups & Meetings Bookings: IHG will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case-by-case basis. Hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further.
Bookings beyond April 30, 2020 – staying flexible:
For bookings beyond April 30, 2020, Best Flexible Rate allows guests to change or cancel their reservation one to two days prior to arrival, although some hotels may have a different timeframe. Changing the date on any reservations through our Best Flexible Rate may result in different pricing and terms, but there is no fee for making changes.
To modify a reservation for stays beyond April 30, 2020, visit Manage Your Stay.
All hotels are required to adhere to comprehensive health and safety procedures including all local laws. In addition, IHG supplemented these resources with additional COVID-19 cleanliness specific guidance, training and information consistent with our own high standards.
- Activation of response teams to provide around-the-clock assistance to our hotels
- Hotels increased the frequency of cleaning public areas (including lobbies, elevators, door handles, public bathrooms) and high-touch points in guestrooms
- All hotels have been advised on cleaning products and protocols which are effective against viruses.
- IHG continues to review food and beverage service in accordance with current food safety recommendations.
Change and Cancellation Policies
- For those impacted by unforeseen travel restrictions such as quarantine, flight cancellations, flight stopovers in affected countries or other travel restrictions imposed by local authorities, guests can cancel any stay booked prior to March 12 for stays through April 30, at no charge.
- If travel plans were related to the rescheduling or cancellation of a trade show, convention or other public events, guests can cancel at no charge or rebook with the rescheduled date.
- Changes to or cancellations of reservations made through a third-party or any another travel website need to be addressed directly with the vendor.
- Any booking made directly with Mandarin Oriental can be cancelled or rescheduled without penalty up to 24 hours before scheduled arrival — with the exception of designated suite bookings. Cancellations will result in refunds, while those choosing to reschedule may have to make up any differences in rates for your new set of dates.
- Mandarin Oriental will waive fees for those who want to change/cancel reservations for stays through April 30.
- Any Special Event cancellations will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the relevant hotel. For Group Bookings, Mandarin Oriental will work with customers on a case-by-case basis.
- For booking made via an online travel agent or other third-party travel professional, contact the booking provider to make amendments.
The wellbeing of guests is important to Marriott International; they are closely monitoring the situation and modifying policies to help guests.
- Existing reservations for any future arrival date, including pre-paid rates, can be cancelled or changed without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival; changes or cancellations must be made by April 30, 2020.
- If you are making new reservations for any future arrival date between now and April 30, 2020, you can change or cancel your reservation at no cost up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.
- If you booked your stay through a third-party site or travel agent, contact them for their cancellation policy.
Marriott also ensures guests they are committed to keeping its properties clean during the COVID-19 outbreak by listing its cleaning procedures.
- Guestrooms: Hotels use cleaning and disinfecting protocols to clean rooms after guests depart and before the next guest arrives; they plan to focus on items that are frequently touched.
- Public Spaces: Hotels increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting in public spaces, focusing on the counter at the front desk, elevators and elevator buttons, door handles, public bathrooms and room keys.
MGM Resorts will continue to monitor the situation and support employees, guests and community during this time.
- MGM Resorts temporarily closed all Las Vegas properties Tuesday, March 17, along with all casino operations.
- Reservations booked through April 1 will be automatically canceled and refunded in full; guests do not need to call to cancel. Guests will be notified through email about the cancellation and refund.
- MGM Resorts are currently taking reservations for arrivals beginning Friday, April 17, 2020.
The Peninsula Hotels
Cancellation fees are waived for bookings in March and April for all groups and travelers. Guests with reservations in March and April can postpone their trips for the upcoming 12 months.
Hotels added hand sanitizer stations and more frequent cleaning of high-touch areas.
- For existing reservations, Rosen Hotels & Resorts will waive cancellation fees for individual travelers through April 30.
- New individual reservations booked March 12–Sept. 7, can be cancelled with no fee up to 24 hours before the arrival date.
- Reservations can be changed at no extra cost based on availability at your hotel of choice.
- For reservations made through an online travel agent or other third party, Rosen asks guests to contact the booking provider for information on their policies.
Rosewood Hotels & Resorts remains committed to the safety and well-being of guests and associates.
All Rosewood properties implemented intensified precautionary measures, following guidelines set by government and health authorities in our various regions. These include the following:
- Hourly deep cleaning, disinfection of public areas and common touch points, e.g. lobby areas and elevators
- Provision of surgical masks and hand sanitizer to all guests and associates
- Mandatory, frequent temperature checks for all guests and associates
- Health declaration for all contractors and other third parties who visit our properties
- Regular cleaning of air filters and air conditioning systems
- Briefing all associates on enhanced personal hygiene
- Closure of hydrotherapy areas in spas, including steam, sauna and vitality pools
Rosewood also updated its reservation and cancellation policy to provide more flexibility and peace of mind when booking accommodations at properties globally:
- For reservations booked March 13–April 30, 2020 for stays through Sept. 30, 2020, Rosewood implemented a 24-hour cancellation policy with no fees
- For reservations booked prior to March 13, 2020, guests may rebook without a fee for up to 12 months, and any deposits will be applied to future reservations
In addition, Rosewood is waiving cancellation fees for stays through April 30, 2020 for:
- Guests traveling to any Rosewood property in the Asia Pacific region and Europe
- Guests traveling from Europe, Iran, South Korea and the Asia Pacific region to any Rosewood property globally
Since 1970, Goway Travel has been committed to providing customized travel experiences for world travelers. Few things are better evidence of this commitment than being awarded the 2019 Trazees award for Favorite Tour Operator. Goway Travel heartily thanks the readers of Trazee Travel for this honor and for their confidence in Goway’s work in creating travel memories that’ll last a lifetime.
The Bushcamp Company is continuing extensive renovations on four of its eight wilderness properties within South Luangwa National Park in Zambia, including a complete rebuild of one. The refurbishments will be ready for the late 2020/2021 safari season.
Seoul and its 10 million residents entered the Distancing in Everyday Life phase of COVID-19 countermeasures. Residents will follow personal hygiene guidelines, including washing hands, wearing masks and maintaining a one-meter distance. Drive-through and walk-through screening centers are available.
Looking for a truly unique travel experience and considering a new vehicle? The Volvo Overseas Delivery Program is the perfect solution to create your own adventure of a lifetime. Volvo allows you to custom order your new automobile tailored to fit your needs and desires. They will fly you to Sweden to pick up your Volvo so you can drive and explore Scandinavia and Europe on your terms for up to two weeks.
To guarantee the safe reopening of all activities in Spain, with restrictions on the arrival of foreign visitors lifting July 1, the Secretary of State for Tourism and the Ministry of Health prepared guidelines to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in the tourism sector, including service, cleaning/disinfection, maintenance and risk management.
LATAM Airlines Group S.A. and its affiliates in Chile, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and the United States initiated a reorganization and restricting of debt under Chapter 11 protection in the United States, in light of the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The reorganization provides LATAM the ability to reduce debt, access new sources of financing and continue operations.
Finding a beachfront Punta Cana all-inclusive resort for all ages can be daunting when you want to take home great memories with loved ones but also experience a sophisticated escape. Now, you can have both thanks to a new resort: Finest Punta Cana.
Parma, Italy, was set to take center stage in 2020 as the Italian Capital of Culture, but COVID-19 interrupted those plans. Last week, the Italian government announced that, as a result of the global pandemic, Parma’s designation will continue through 2021.